a few things.
- bought Schwalbe tires, but not rode them yet
- my favorite cheap film was discontinued, and did some searching to stock up a little
- my roommate and a friend left for a 3week tour on the northern west coast. Stoked for them and wishing i could do the same
- picked up a nice linen travel towel, and have been using it. linen is great stuff
- thinking about the letters P,B and J. Pictures, Biking and Jobs. I want to tour around and take pictures of people who work in manufacturing jobs. Things like Red Wing or Western Mountaineering.
- not yet made a decision on a color for my new frame, but heard about a black powder coat that has a spectrum of color reflected in the sun
- still contemplating options for doing, or not doing video on a future tour
- also the options for solar charging, or just spotting outdoor outlets
- reading a book, The Slow Way Down by Gerald Coniel
Thinking more about Pictures Biking and Jobs project idea. The amount of effort i would need to give it. What the main focus would be. Practical aspects like finding and connecting with people while on the road. And how would the stories be told, presented. I believe there are enough people interested in the parts separately and also combined specifically. I would hope i could be reputable enough to be allowed to visit work spaces and learn about the jobs, the people, and the goods they make. And take portraits.
Cant decide what cassette to install. My last tour was 12-25 with cassette cogs: 12,13,14,15,16,17,19,21,23,25
Shimano Ultegra 6700 10-Speed 12-30t
Cassette Cogs: 12-13-14-15-17-19-21-24-27-30
SRAM PG-1050 10 speed 12-28t
Cassette Cogs: 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-22-25-28
Miche Shimano splined 10 speed 12-27t
Cassette Cogs: 12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25-27
Things are moving along. Also today I mounted a 700×38 to my rear wheel for them to use as a guide for clearances.
For my next tour, like my last two tours, I’ll ride right the hell out of this awesome city I live in.
Sitting around BMW talking bikes, talking touring bikes, and getting a custom build made, it has been this bike that was most influential. Other than my old touring bike of course. But in wanting to make a modern version of my old bike, although not too modern, I looked to this one for tube dimensions and frame features.
Both will have True Temper SuperTherm main tubes, with 1.25″ top tube, 1.5″ down tube. And external butted seat tube for 27.2mm post.
Feeling good about seeing all my frame tubes in their own box. The main triangle is even cut already.
Not bothered by a lil surface rust. Understandable, It was 97° today and humidity is nutz.
Fuji Superia 400 36exp
Today I learned that my favorite, and pretty much the only 35mm film I use, was discontinued about 3 weeks ago. I bought the last rolls I could find. Gonna look for more tomorrow.
I love this film. very good, and a good price. sad now.
I was getting this for under $3 a roll
There are other options, the 200 speed in 36exp for a few cents cheaper. Or the 400 speed BUT in only a 24exp for about the same price. Still confused about why Fuji cut the 400 36exp??
Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700×38 wire bead
Because I’m having a new frame built I am mirroring a tire choice on a good friends bike. These will act as the largest tire I’d want to run, with fenders, and let my frame builder use them to make sure there will be clearance.
I like the pattern of the tread. Not liking the reflective strip, I may try to remove it. Probably won’t get any miles on these until after the build is complete so it’ll be a while before I really get to test them.
Made in Indonesia
Paragon Machine Works DR0045 – Rear, 70 degree, eyelets